Stretches for neck pain
*These stretches are designed to relieve some symptoms of neck pain, they should not cause an increase in pain. If you experience pain, light headiness or dizziness during the stretches please stop and consult your Osteopath*
Cervical spine rotation
- Lie on your back without a pillow under your head.
- Turn your head so as to bring your chin towards your shoulder until you feel a stretch on the opposite side of your neck.
- Return your head to midline and repeat.
- NOTE: Do not turn your shoulders, only your head.
Trapezius and cervical spine stretch
- Sit tall on a straight chair.
- Grab the bottom of the seat with your hand on the injured side to lower the shoulder by pulling down.
- Tilt and turn your head to the opposite side.
- Nod head forward until a stretch is felt along the side and back of neck.
- Apply extra pressure (gently) with your hand to increase the stretch if needed.
- Hold the stretch for 10-20 seconds and relax.
Cervical spine flexion
Standing or seated, give yourself a hug.
- Gently bring your chin to your chest.
- You should feel a nice stretch, not pain.